Pre-production (the time spent finalising files and artwork) finished at the end of June. The next step is creating a sample. That’s what the manufacturer has been working on since July 1st.
The sample is basically exactly what the game will look like in the final copies sent out to everyone. I expected the sample to completed by now, but there has been a delay caused by…ME.
For the base game, I’ve had a lot of requests for replacement miniatures, mostly for the fragile Guardian Cannons. The cause is usually damaged in transit. I expect the Pirate Stronghold and Space Whale miniatures in the next expansion are just as fragile, and the last thing I want are more damaged miniatures.
So, I made the decision a week or so ago to add a plastic tray to Beyond the Expanse for those two miniatures. This has a resulted in a delay with the sample, but as I’m sure you’ll agree, it will be worth it in the end.
Here is photo sent to me from Boda Games of the game (including tray):
Speaking of Delays…is COVID affecting the timeline?
That is a good question! The answer?…yeah maybe, maybe not…
There are a few places where the pandemic may delay our timeline:
- Production (by Boda Games, Sept – Oct)
- Freight (by…boats? Oct – Nov)
- Fulfillment (by Quartermaster Logistics Nov to Smarch)
Boda Games has assured me that they are working at the same capacity as before the pandemic. And Quartermaster Logistics just proved how awesome they are by fulfilling the 1st wave of games very quickly.
What I’m basically trying to say (in a roundabout way) is things are moving along as planned so far but this pandemic has proved that anything can happen, so if something out of my control slows things down, please don’t hate me 😭. If anything does come up, of course I’ll let you all know as soon as I can.
Special Edition Box
This idea has been bouncing around for the last 6 months. I’m just going to give you a quick update on where it’s at and what to expect:
- What is it? – This is a single print run, Limited Edition Box for Mothership that is designed with trays to sort all components easily and awesomely
- Will this be Kickstarted? – Nope. It will be direct pre-orders through the website.
- How much will it be? – No idea! But it will be a luxury item (that means unapologetically expensive). If I can’t get it to a reasonable price though I won’t bother with it.
- When can I expect it? – I’m working on the design right now. Maybe I’ll have some more info on it around October.